ACCIONA, a global infrastructure, water, services and renewable energies company, has designed and built the first electrically powered car based entirely on renewable sources.
The vehicle is further evidence of ACCIONA's commitment to innovation, renewable energy and sustainable development.
- ACCIONA presents ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered, the first electric car powered exclusively by clean energy, up for the challenge of the toughest engine competition in the world: the Dakar Rally.
- With this electric car, ACCIONA completes its trilogy of 100% EcoPowered vehicles that began in 2011 with its sled that reached the South Pole propelled only by a system of kites and continued its march forward in 2012 by participating in the Vendeé Globe, on board a sailboat that completed a solo, non-stop, round the world trip, without using a drop of fossil fuel.
- ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered is yet another demonstration of ACCIONA's commitment to the development of renewable energies and its reliability in even the most extreme conditions.
- It will be the first time in its 37-year history that Dakar registers a 100% electric car. Dakar is considered the toughest test in the world for a car, with a distance of over 9,000 km and where the average consumption expenditure per participant is 2,250 litres of fuel; and ACCIONA 100% EcoPoweredwill not emit a single CO2 particle.
- The race takes place between the 4th and 17th of January in Argentina, Bolivia and Chile, where ACCIONA is present with Energy and Infrastructure, and Water divisions.
Developing ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered has taken more than two years of R&D and has counted on the collaboration of a multidisciplinary team of over 20 people.
The purpose was to reach an optimal balance between electric propulsion technology, powered entirely by batteries, and the unique characteristics of a racing car prepared for an extreme adventure such as the Dakar.
100% clean energy systems
- A highly efficient synchronous electric engine equivalent to 300 CV and which weighs only 80 Kg compared to its internal combustion counterparts which weigh 280 Kg.
- A set of 4 removable Lithium Ion battery packs, capable of storing a total of 140kWH (similar to the contracted capacity of 32 homes) to adequately power the electric motor.
- A system of high-efficiency solar panels, ensuring the supply of 100% renewable energy to power telemetry and security systems of the ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered.
Dakar in figures
- 37 editions.
- 7 editions in South America.
- 431 vehicles participated in the 2014 edition, 50% abandoned.
- Extreme temperatures of up to 50ºC.
- 13 stages of up to 800 km each.
- More than 9,000 km in total.
- Dakar 2015 will travel across three countries: Argentina, Chile and Bolivia.
- 2-day marathon stage for all participants where they will not have access to their service vehicles.
Follow us on: www.accionadakar.com or join our social networks: Facebook: ACCIONA Dakar // Twitter: @accionadakar // Instagram: accionadakar //YouTube: ACCIONA Dakar
ACCIONA is one of Spain's main companies operating in infrastructure, energy, water and services in over 30 countries. Its slogan "Pioneers in development and sustainability" reflects its commitment to contribute to economic growth, social progress and environmental protection, a commitment recognised by its inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) and FTSE4Good. The company is listed on the Ibex-35, has a workforce of more than 34,000 professional employees and in 2013 its sales reached 6.607 billion euros. www.acciona.es