Having opened on 27 November 2013, the DS World Paris is celebrating its first birthday. A true DS flagship, it is located in the centre of Paris, the birthplace of the Brand. A space for exhibitions, history, experience and sales, it upholds the DS brand’s values of innovation and excellence.
The inaugural year has seen five artist residencies and several thousands of visitors, some of whom have acquired the DS of their choice. In terms of sales, the DS World Paris is fulfilling its mission with a conquest rate of 80%*.
One year after opening, the DS World Paris has found its audience, both French and international. Located at 33, rue François 1er in the famous “Golden Triangle” area of Paris, the venue, unique in Europe, constitutes a distinctive setting for DS and fully expresses the Brand’s positioning. With a design informed by luxury-sector cues, the DS World Paris conjugates the past, present and future of DS.
The DS World Paris is a sales venue
The DS World Paris exhibits the current range, consisting of the DS 3, DS 3 Cabrio, DS 4 and DS 5. With a 80%* conquest rate, it is fulfilling its mission to win new customers (nb: globally for the Brand, the conquest rate is 62%). The top-selling models after one year are the DS 4 and DS 3.
The DS World Paris brings customers a bespoke relationship
Besides products, the DS World Paris brings its customers exclusive services such as car deliveries to their homes and a jockey service during after-sales operations. The relationship is further strengthened by invitations to special events as part of the DS Privilege club and the DS World Paris.
The DS World Paris links past and future
You don’t needs to be a buyer to appreciate the ambience at the DS World Paris! The venue is open free of charge, offering visitors the chance to find out all about the heritage of the Brand, as embodied by the original DS on show. Rare DS 19 models are displayed with each new season. Currently in the spotlight is a 1961 DS 19, one of the first with a radio built in to the dashboard. Visitors also get to see concept cars, unique, forward-looking creations, currently represented by the C-SportLounge, which previewed the design of the DS 5.
The DS World Paris is a haven for artists
The DS World Paris also organises artist residencies, in which artists infuse the venue with their creative approach and magnifying its ambience. Of varying degrees of renown, the creators share the values of refinement, French expertise and avant-garde spirit with the DS brand. Visitors this year had the opportunity to see the “Stronger” show by hair artist Charlie Le Mindu and “Le Choux DS”, an exclusive creation by celebrated pastry chef Philippe Conticini. In December, visitors can enjoy a show on the Harcourt photography studio and take home a special portrait of themselves.
Further surprises have already been planned for 2015.
The DS 4 ̶ a premium C* segment vehicle ̶ made its European debut in 2011. Today, it is sold on four continents and has won 110,000 customers around the world.
To mark the start of its third full year on the market, the DS 4 is now available in a two-tone version with a choice of three roof colours, new engines and a range of connected services.
In November, the DS 4 gained two new engines, respecting the Euro 6 standard and delivering greater power and fuel efficiency: the new PureTech 130 3-cylinder petrol unit and the new BlueHDi 120 diesel unit. Torque is increased by 44% and 11% respectively, while CO2 emissions are cut by 19% and 12% compared with the Euro 5 engines replaced (VTi 120 and e-HDi 115).
“The DS 4 delivers a ride on a par with its styling: a driving position similar to a saloon but higher, along with response, performance and a unique road feel,” says Yves Bonnefont, CEO of the DS Brand. “With these new styling features and high-tech innovations, it will reaffirm its status as a C-segment premium vehicle.”
1. ATTENTION TO DETAIL
The DS 4 is designed to set high standards of refinement, on both the inside and outside. For example:
- - as of September 2014, personalised colour choices for the roof and spoiler. Three colours are available to customers: black, whisper and virtual blue (Note: rearview mirror housing possible, depending on country).
A standard offering unique in the premium hatchback segment!
- - cabin design is both refined and comfortable. The best example of this approach lies in the choice of leather: the type of leather used (semi-aniline) sets the standard in this field and the ‘watch strap’ design is exclusive. Further, the dashboard is covered in ‘nappa’ leather with precisely adjusted top stitching that demanded 15 hours of handcrafting.
Other noteworthy features include the blind spot monitoring system, rotary xenon headlights (a nod to the original DS) and massage seats.
1.1 PureTech 130 S&S engine / 6-speed manual gearbox
Designed and built in France, the PureTech engines are a new family of 3-cylinder petrol engines based on innovative, efficient and economical technologies.
In 2014, the PureTech family gained a turbocharged version, the PureTech 130 S&S, the first petrol engine developed by the PSA PEUGEOT CITROËN Group to respect the Euro 6 standard. Delivering plenty of torque from low revs and across a broad brand, this powertrain revisits the driveability of petrol engines, further enhancing the punch and performance of the DS 4. The technologies used set remarkable standards in performance while keeping CO2 emissions on a par with the best: the PureTech 130 S&S engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 19% compared with its 4-cylinder predecessor (VTi 120).
Exceptional driving pleasure
With its 3-cylinder layout and advanced technologies (new-generation turbocharger, direct injection, variable intake and exhaust timing system, etc.), this engine was developed to meet stringent specifications in performance and consumption, while delivering exceptional driveability.
Developing 96 kW (130 bhp) at 5,500 rpm (9% more than its predecessor, the VTi 120) and maximum torque of 230 Nm (44% higher than the VTi 120) from 1,750 rpm (vs 4,250 on the VTi120), the PureTech 130 S&S engine meets high standards in performance. The 6-speed manual gearbox further increases driving pleasure.
Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions on a par with the best in class The DS 4 features significantly lower fuel consumption with its:
- optimised combustion: centrally positioned high-pressure direct injection, optimised injector position and spray shape, increased injection pressure of up to 200 bars, improved internal aerodynamics of the combustion chamber and a variable intake and exhaust timing function;
- reduced internal friction: crankshaft sizing, offset cylinders a lubricated timing belt, use of a DLC (diamond-like carbon) low-friction coating on the piston pins, rings and push rods, and an oil pump controlled electronically to provide just the right amount of lubrication. In this way, friction is 30% lower than on the best engine made by the competition.
In consequence, the DS4 PureTech 130 S&S with a 6-speed manual gearbox consumes 5l/100 km for CO2 emissions of 116g/km with 16’’ wheels (5.1 l/100 km for CO2 emissions of 119g/km with 17’’ wheels).
1.2 BlueHDi 120 engine / 6-speed manual gearbox
At the end of 2013, DS rolled out a new generation of diesel engines called BlueHDi, designed to anticipate the Euro 6 standard.
The BlueHDi 120 engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox now available on the DS 4 allies excellent performance with particularly low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions owing to:
An optimised diesel engine
The BlueHDi 120 engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox is an upgrade of the 1.6l HDi Euro version: improved internal efficiency, fewer mechanical losses (special combustion chamber, new rings, new diamond-like carbon coating).
The BlueHDi 120 with a 6-speed manual gearbox has capacity of 1,560 cm3 for maximum power of 88 kW (120 bhp EEC) at 3,500 rpm and maximum torque of 300 Nm at 1,750 rpm. The Stop&Start function with a reinforced starter delivers a range of benefits including lower fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. It is also silent when stationary. The engine takes no more than around 500 ms to start up again, less than the time necessary to put the car into gear. Both cut-out and re-start are transparent for the driver.
An innovative and efficient exhaust line: The BlueHDi 120 exhaust line comprises:
- - an oxidation catalytic converter positioned at the engine exhaust to eliminate the hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) produced through combustion;
- - an SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) module, positioned upstream of the particulate filter. With the injection of Adblue® (a mixture of water and urea), the module transforms up to 90% of nitrogen oxides (NOx) into inoffensive water vapour (H2O) and nitrogen (N2);
- - an additive particulate filter, launched as a world first in 2000 by the PSA PEUGEOT CITROËN Group designed to eliminate up to 99.9% of particulates in number.
The innovative and unique feature of this exhaust line lies in its specific layout: the SCR module positioned upstream of the additive particulate filter is the only after-treatment system able to reduce NOx emissions by up to 90% as well as reducing CO2 emissions by up to 4%.
In consequence, a DS 4 equipped with the BlueHDi 120 engine and 6-speed manual gearbox consumes 3.7l/100 km over a combined cycle for CO2 emissions of 97g/km with 16’’ wheels (3.8l/100 km for 100g of CO2/km with 17’’ wheels).
This pack comprises a virtual maintenance manual and eco-driving module, both available from the customer’s personal page.
- The virtual maintenance manual informs the customer of upcoming scheduled servicing operations and any maintenance required, along with notification of any alerts concerning the vehicle.
- The eco-driving module analyses the way the driver handles the car and gives hints and tips on reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
The Monitoring Pack thereby contributes to peace of mind with respect to servicing, enabling customers to optimise their automotive budget while also contributing to environmental protection.
The DS Connect BOX is potentially available on all DS vehicles (DS 3, DS 3 Cabrio, DS
4 and DS 5). Today, 200,000 DS vehicles are already equipped with the SOS & Assistance Pack. The suite of services with the SOS & Assistance Pack is available from €310.
From early 2015, two new services will be added to the range.
- The Mapping Pack to find the car easily or lend it to another driver with complete peace of mind. This function tracks the use and position of the car. Customers can make sure that the use of their DS corresponds to the criteria previously specified on their personal page (e.g. timeframes or geographical areas). They will receive an e-mail alert if the vehicle is used outside the specified hours and areas. Customers can also locate their vehicle using their Smartphone, displaying in real time the position, last parking place or last routes taken.
- The Tracking Pack provides 24/7 assistance in the event of theft. In this case, the pack makes the work of the police easier by indicating the location of the car.
2.2 Scan MyDS
Scan MyDS is a free smartphone app to help drivers find information quickly about a control, feature or function on their car. The app uses image recognition to display information from the vehicle handbook directly on a smartphone. Users can easily find answers to their questions in this intuitive app which is available around the clock.
Scan MyDS also lists all the warning lights and provides their meaning plus suggested action.
The app is available free of charge from the customer’s personal page, or can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.