Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported calendar year (CY) 2014 total (combined fleet and retail) sales in the U.S. of 305,801, up 7.7 percent over 2013 and the best result since 1994 (20 years), the last time the company sold more than 300,000 vehicles in a single calendar year. MNAO retail-only sales reached 278,880 units, representing an increase of 6.0 percent over 2013, and the best retail sales year since 1994, further showing the company’s reduced reliance on fleet sales. Combined December U.S. sales of 24,808 vehicles represent an increase of 8.0 percent versus last year, and the best December since 2012 (27,253).
“2014 can only be described as historical when it comes to Mazda sales,” said Ron Stettner, vice president of sales, MNAO. “Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5 have out-performed all year and, as a result, we surpassed 300,000 vehicle sales for the first time since 1994. The support of our dealers, along with the strongest, most-competitive showroom we have ever offered is the driving force behind our success; I’m confident we’ll continue this momentum through 2015 and beyond.”
Key December and CY2014 sales notes:
- MNAO achieved its best retail-only sales year since 1994 with 278,880 units. In 1994, MNAO sold 310,985 vehicles to retail customers.
- MNAO achieved its best combined fleet and retail year of sales since 1994 with a total of 305,801 vehicles sold. In 1994, MNAO sold 375,416 units. MNAO’s best-ever sales year was 1986, with 379,883 sales.
- Mazda reported sales of 24,808 in December 2014. This performance represents an increase of 8.0 percent year-over-year (YOY).
- SKYACTIV®Technology accounted for 87.7 percent of total December sales. On a year-over-year basis, SKYACTIV Technology vehicle sales grew 30 percent when compared to 2013, accounting for 84 percent of total sales in 2014.
- December 2014 was the second-best December for Mazda3, with 9,719 units sold. The best December sales for Mazda3 came in 2012 when MNAO sold 10,297 units.
- CY2014 CX-5 sales nearly eclipsed 100,000 sales with a total of 99,122, an increase of 24.6 percent over CY2013 (79,544). December 2014 was the best December sales ever for CX-5 with 7,721 units, an increase of 14.9 percent YOY (Dec. 2013 – 6,720).
- Mazda6 had its best year of sales since 2007 with 53,224 units sold in CY2014. That number represents an increase of 22.0 percent YOY (CY2013 sales – 43,637).
- Mazda reported Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) December sales of 3,768 vehicles, up 19.0 percent YOY. CY2014 CPO sales closed with 43,129 vehicles, an increase of 13.8 percent YOY.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) celebrated its best-ever month with sales of 5,182 vehicles, up 26.0 percent versus December of last year. Total CY2014 sales for MMdM equated to 40,987 vehicles, representing an increase of 23.0 percent when compared to 2013, its best-ever calendar year of sales.
Key MMdM December and CY2014 sales notes:
- December 2014 represents best-ever month of sales
- CY2014 is best-ever year of sales
- December 2014 is best-ever month of sales for Mazda3
- December 2014 is best-ever month of sales for CX-5
- 23rd straight month of best-ever sales
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through more than 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.