New York City’s Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) has set April 20, 2015, as the program start date for the Taxi of Tomorrow program, which calls for most retiring taxis to be replaced with the Nissan NV200 and will significantly increase the number of wheelchair-accessible taxis in the fleet.
Based on the TLC Taxi of Tomorrow guidelines, Nissan NV200 Taxi will be the sole option for Manhattan yellow taxis not being replaced by a hybrid or an alternate wheelchair-accessible vehicle (WAV) where additional choice among competitors is maintained. Nissan is working with BraunAbility, the global leader in automotive mobility, to provide WAV Nissan NV200 Taxis, which now are available for purchase.
More than 500 Nissan NV200 Taxis already are in service in New York City. The Nissan NV200 Taxi has more content specifically tailored to use as a New York City cab than any vehicle prior to it including important safety features.
The Nissan NV200 taxi is the only taxi that leaves the factory with the installed partition, which has been specifically designed to ensure that no safety features are compromised by after-market installations. In fact, the Nissan NV200 Taxi was crash-tested with the partition and meets Federal safety standards, an attribute no other automaker provides for taxis. After-market installations in some taxis can render safety features such as airbags non-functional.
The Nissan NV200 also meets global pedestrian-protection standards aimed at softening the impact to a pedestrian if struck by a vehicle.
Following its selection as the exclusive Taxi of Tomorrow provider, Nissan engaged with organizations long at the forefront of the Taxi of Tomorrow program, including the Design Trust for Public Space, Smart Design and the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.
Nissan created its own “New York Ave.” at its Arizona proving grounds to replicate harsh conditions of NYC streets to rigorously test the Nissan NV200 taxi to tune the suspension specifically to NYC road conditions. Additionally, Nissan hired New York City cab drivers to test vehicles around the city, collecting data that was used to refine the vehicle. In total, these drivers logged enough miles to cover every street in Manhattan more than 300 times.
The Nissan NV200 taxi also offers passengers a variety of amenities to make their trip more pleasant, including ample cargo room for transporting luggage and USB charging ports in addition to a 12-volt electrical outlet.
The Nissan NV200 Taxi offers a functional and spacious interior housed in a compact exterior footprint; in fact, when the Nissan NV200 Taxi is deployed across the entire taxi fleet, the equivalent of five square-acres of space will be freed up on city streets.
Key safety features include:
- Front and rear-seat occupant curtain airbags specifically designed to deploy around the integrated partition and seat-mounted airbags for the front row
- Standard traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control
- Sliding doors to lessen risk of pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists getting struck by doors opening unexpectedly
- Lights that alert other road users that taxi doors are opening
About Nissan NV200 Taxi
Drawing on insight from New York taxi drivers, medallion holders, fleets and passengers, the Nissan NV200 taxi features more content tailored specifically to the unique needs of metropolitan cab service than ever before. In addition to stunning views of the city, other new features include:
- Ample room for four passengers and their luggage, offering substantial improvements over current and recently-unveiled taxi models
- Breathable, antimicrobial, environment-friendly, durable and easy-to-clean seat fabric
- Sliding doors with entry step and grab handles, providing easy entry and exit
- Mobile charging ports for passengers, including a 12-volt electrical outlet and two USB ports
- Flat “no hump” passenger floor area for more comfortable ride and easy entry and exit
- Independently-controlled, rear air conditioning
- Active carbon-lined headliner to help neutralize interior odors
- Overhead reading lights for passengers and floor lighting to help locate belongings
- Opening side windows
Other notable NV200 taxi features focus on driver comfort, customer satisfaction and the environment:
- A low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking, so the horn is used less frequently
- Hearing Loop System for the hearing impaired
- Driver and passenger intercom system
- A 6-way adjustable driver’s seat featuring both recline and lumbar adjustments, even with a partition installed
- Proven 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain, engineered to enhance the emission performance and fuel efficiency of the taxi fleet
- 150,000-mile powertrain warranty
- Unique driver’s seat material and stitching to promote improved airflow
- USB auxiliary audio input and charge port for driver
- Standard navigation system with integrated rearview backup monitor
- All necessary wiring and installation provisions
The NV200 taxi is now on sale at select Nissan dealerships in the greater New York City area. Total manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of the vehicle is approximately $29,700.